Richard A. Davis III
Richard Davis began his legal career at a large Seattle law firm and in 1993 moved to Bellingham to join Chmelik Sitkin & Davis P.S. Richard represents community associations, public and private sector employers, community associations, and contractors.
Richard is a member of the Community Associations Institute and has contributed articles and been a speaker at CAI events. He represents a variety of homeowners’ associations, condominium associations, and camping associations, assisting them through the challenges of formation, governance issues, governing document revisions, enforcement issues and litigation.
Richard’s labor and employment practice focuses on representing employers, with the goal of minimizing or avoiding the risk of litigation by providing sound legal advice. He advises on all areas of employment law (including ADA, FLSA, and FMLA) in addition to representing clients in employment claims as well as investigations conducted by the EOCC, Department of Labor, and the Human Rights Commission. He regularly defends employers in administrative hearings (PERC and NLRB), arbitrations, and trials. He also serves as the employer’s representative on a variety of union issues, including union formation, collective bargaining negotiation and strategy, contract administration, and grievances.
As a municipal lawyer with over 20 years of experience, Richard is highly sought after as a government advisor on topics ranging from public contracting, open government issues, and interlocal agreements. He chairs the Legal Committee for the Washington Fire Commissioners Association and is a frequent presenter on Open Government and other issues affecting public agencies.
- University of Chicago (B.A., cum laude, Economics, 1988)
- Indiana University, School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1991)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Washington State Bar Association (admitted 1991)
- United States District Court — Western District of Washington
- Whatcom County Bar Association
- Washington Fire Commissioners Association,
Legal Committee Chair and frequent speaker
- Associated General Contractors,
Legal Committee Member and speaker
- Community Associations Institute, Member
- Bellingham Food Bank, Board of Directors
- City of Bellingham Civil Service Commission, Member
- Super Priority Liens, Community Associations Journal, June, 2013
- Judgment for Specific Acts; Vesting Title, Chapter 70, Civil Procedure Desk Book
Condominium & Homeowners’ Associations
Employment & Labor Law
Fire and EMS Practice Group